Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Nanaimo Bars

One of my favourite desserts are Nanaimo Bars! Not long after being diagnosed, I knew I would need to figure out how to make them gluten-free as I was not willing to give up my favourite special treat. Luckily, these are easy to make gluten-free or not. I cannot figure out why it took me so long to try making them as they are very simple, no cooking dessert.

Weddings and birthdays are all around so I decided to make a batch for a recent friend's bridal shower. So tasty that nobody even knew they were gluten-free until they saw me eating one.

Make a batch and enjoy with friends...they will love you for it.

Bottom Layer:
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1 cup coconut (shredded, sweetened or unsweetened)

Make the bottom layer and then place in fridge for 30 minutes or more before adding the next layer.

Middle Layer:
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons almond milk (or milk or soy milk)
2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Add middle layer to the fridge cooled bottom layer. Spread with a spatula until even and return to the fridge while you make the top layer.

Top Layer:
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature

If you have a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate together. Stir constantly to prevent burning. If you don't have the pot, then place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 - 30 second increments stopping to stir. Repeat until fully melted. Pour on top of the other layers. Spread with a spatula or tip the pan back and forth to create a more smooth top finish.

Place back in the fridge to cool. Cut into squares, serve and enjoy.

I have more birthday parties coming up and I'm sure I will make another batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment